We are delighted that you are interested in working at the Quadram Institute Bioscience. As an international applicant, you are likely to need a visa to work in the UK. The recruitment team can provide you with guidance on the different visa options and application processes. Most commonly we support visa applications under the following routes:

Global Talent

Global Talent is for talented and promising individuals in specific sectors (including science) who wish to work in the UK. To be considered under the Global Talent visa route, applicants must gain endorsement via one of four routes before submitting a visa application.

Skilled Worker

The Skilled Worker visa route allows individuals to come to the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa you must score a minimum number of points based on your job as well as your personal circumstances.

Graduate Visa

Applicants who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above in the UK, are able to apply for a graduate visa to stay and work, or look for work for at least two years following their studies.

Another helpful source of information if you are not sure whether you need a visa, or what to apply for is the check if you need a UK visa page on the government’s website.

Other useful information

Bank Account

You will be required to open a UK bank account to receive your monthly salary. There are many different options available to you, from more traditional high street banks to online banks. The recruitment team can provide you with a confirmation of employment letter to support your application to open a bank account.

National Insurance number

If this is your first employment in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance number. A National Insurance number is a reference number used by HM Revenue & Customs to record exactly where you have worked and what you have earned. By law, you must have a permanent NI number once you start working. Once you arrive in the UK, you can apply for the National Insurance number online.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You may have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your visa application. This gives you access to the National Health Service whilst you are working in the UK.


A government how to rent guide (PDF) provides some useful information on renting in England. Temporary accommodation is a good option whilst you find a more permanent place to live. There are temporary options nearby such as the UEA Broadview Lodge.

If you have any questions or would like further information on any of the above, please contact the recruitment team who will be happy to help. The team can be reached via email at nbi.recruitment@nbi.ac.uk or phone on 01603 450814.

We look forward to meeting you on your first day of employment to carry out your right to work in the UK check.