Research at the Quadram Institute is organised through small research groups, headed by a group leader who is world-class in their field, providing a supportive environment for you to develop your career. Scientific and professional support teams help deliver this world-leading research, and translate it into impactful innovation. Collaborative, interdisciplinary work is encouraged, especially through our Institute Strategic Programmes, meaning your research will be tackling some of the most pressing global challenges facing society. Scientific and professional support teams help deliver this world-leading research, and translate it into impactful innovation.
Fostering collaboration has been built into the design and layout of the building, with seating areas spread around the office areas for impromptu meetings. Speaking of coffee, the Quadram café has a full barista service, as well as serving hot and cold lunches, breakfast, snacks and refreshments, with prices subsidised for staff and students in the building.
The institute regularly hosts high calibre seminars with speakers from across the globe, which is a great chance to hear from and speak to world-leading scientists in relevant research areas. Internal seminars and meetings keep you up to date with your colleagues’ latest breakthroughs. And fortnightly “Coffee Break Science” sessions invite the whole institute to come together for quick science talks and news from across the institute.
You’ll also be able to join seminars and other events hosted by the other institutes on the Norwich Research Park, opening up new networks. This is one of the many benefits of joining an institute that is part of a community of 3,000 scientists and clinicians making up the Norwich Research Park.
Pay and Benefits
As well as competitive salary and annual leave entitlements, there are numerous additional benefits for staff, including;
- Pension: All new employees are eligible to join our Group Personal Pension Plan. The pension plan is a defined contribution scheme and we will make a 10% of salary contribution based on a minimum employee contribution of 5%. Employees may, if they wish, pay higher contributions. Life Assurance is also available and includes a Death in Service benefit.
- Holidays: 25 days per annum rising to 28 days in the third annual leave year, plus 8 public holidays and 2.5 Privilege days. Privilege days are identified on an annual basis.
- Learning and Development: We provide a range of training, learning and development opportunities for our staff.
- Family/Dependent Support Fund: The Family/Dependent Support Fund provides some financial support for staff who wish to attend conferences, networking events, workshops and professional development opportunities but who have childcare or dependent responsibilities which may make this difficult.
- Chestnut Nursery School at the Norwich Research Park: On-site childcare is available at the Chestnut Nursery School. The nursery also runs Holiday Clubs for children aged up to 11 years. Chestnut Nursery School offers quality education in a stimulating environment on the Norwich Research Park, for babies, toddlers and young children (0-5 years old) with places offered preferentially to staff and students at the Quadram Institute and the Norwich Bioscience Institutes.
- Cycle to Work Scheme: A Cycle to Work scheme allows employees to select a bicycle and associated safety equipment (up to £1,000 in value) from a number of local, national and on-line suppliers. An amount is then be deducted from monthly salary for a period of 12 months, allowing employees to benefit from tax advantages.
- Voluntary Employee Benefits scheme: ‘NBI Lifestyle’ gives employees access to a great range of discounts on: travel bookings, high street vouchers, gift cards, cinema tickets, days out, leisure activities and day to day spending. The scheme offers something for everyone and endless ways to save online and in store.
- Employee Assistance Programme: Employees and their families can also access wellbeing support through our Employee Assistance Programme, part of NBI Lifestyle. In addition to articles, webinars and information on many work, home and health related matters, the scheme offer a 24/7 telephone counselling service.
- Sport and recreation facilities: The John Innes Society provides employees and their families with access to a range of sports and recreation events and facilities, including swimming pool and sports hall.
- Catering: Hot and cold food is available across the site.
- Car Park: Car parking is available to staff on site.
- Recreation: Regular events to entertain people working at the Norwich Research Park and their family are held throughout the year.
- Multi Faith Room: A quiet room is available and can be used for religious requirements.
- Welfare Suite: this also includes facilities for nursing mothers.
We regularly review our reward arrangements and undertake benchmarking activities to ensure our offer remains competitive.
In addition to work-related events, various groups such as the Quadram Postdoc Society, Quadram Student Forum and NBI LGBTQ+ group organise a range of social events. Quadram staff can also access a range of social and sports facilities through the John Innes Society. Based at the neighbouring John Innes Centre, the John Innes Society has on-site facilities for sports (including badminton, squash, basketball, swimming, snooker) and groups for many other activities, from art to yoga. Other facilities include camping and canoeing equipment, and a boat for exploring the Norfolk Broads that can be hired, as well as on-site recreation centre and bar.