As Human Studies Coordinator, I am responsible for Quadram Institute Bioscience’s research involving human subjects and human tissue.
I am Chair of the Institute’s Human Research Governance Committee and Observer of the Joint Research Governance Committee of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals. and University of East Anglia. I am an External member with professional expertise of the Anglia Ruskin University’s Research Ethics Subcommittee.
- Advise and assist the preparation of research protocols involving human subjects and human tissue in accordance with the standards of International Council for Harmonisation (ICH)-Good Clinical Practice.
- Provide guidance on the procedures to gain approval from QIB’s Human Research Governance Committee and ethical permission from Health Research Authority Research Ethics Committees (RECs) and NHS Research and Development offices.
- Provide guidance and advice (i) on accessing and depositing tissue in the Norwich Biorepository and (ii) on all aspects of undertaking research with human tissue from external sources in accordance with the Human Tissue Act, 2004.
- Curator of the HRGC confidential file archive.
- Responsible for the QIB HRGC Human Studies Training Program for all QIB staff, students and visiting workers undertaking human studies and research involving human tissue.
- Administrator of the QIB account for a publicly accessible database of clinical trials (ClinicalTrials.gov) maintained by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Promote public engagement for raising awareness of the type of research carried out at QIB to improve human health.
- Coordinator of a trial running at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (Norwich, UK) to assess sulphate accumulation in the human prostate (SAP study, ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT02821728).
- Coordinator of a trial running at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (Norwich, UK) to study the effect of sulforaphane from broccoli on prostate cancer prevention (ESCAPE study, ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT01950143).
- Co-investigator of a trial running at the QIB Human Nutrition Unit to measure the bioavailability of bioactives and minerals from broccoli (BOBS study, gov Identifier NCT02300324)