I am Head of the Food Databanks National Capability at the Quadram Institute (Norwich, UK) and President of EuroFIR (www.eurofir.org). I am an experienced food and nutritional scientist and have published over 250 publications (h-index = 36) on a wide range of topics in food sciences and nutrition. I edited McCance & Widdowson’s ‘The Composition of Foods’ (7th Summary Edn; 2015) and developed an online tool for the UK’s CoFids with Public Health England (2019).
For most of my science career, I have been involved in a wide range of research in food, nutrition and health and explored ways to integrate food and consumer behaviour data into personalised nutrition dietary advices.
I have a broad range of experience in both national and European research projects and I am currently the Scientific Coordinator for the Food, Nutrition and Security Cloud EU project, as well as Co-lead FNHRI UK Node. I am Editor-In-Chief for Food Chemistry, and Trends in Food Science and Technology and I have provided expert advice to a number of bodies including the FSA, British Council, FAO and EU.
Member of Scientific Advisory Boards & Committees:
WHO EMRO Expert in food composition, intake, labelling and nutrition claims (2016- )
- FOODforce, representative for IFR (2015-)
- Chair, European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), EU Menu Advisory Group, Parma, Italy (2012-15)
- UK Expert, European Standarization Committee, CEN TC275 Working Group on Food Data, Uppsala, Sweden (2008-13)
- National Expert, EU Joint Research Centre, Institute of Reference Materials and Measurements, Certification Advisory Panel on Small Organic Molecules and Operationally Defined Parameters in Food Analysis, Geel, Belgium (2008-13)
- Review of research proposals and projects, DG Research, Commission of European Union, Brussels (2005- )
Professional Activities and Societies Membership:
- Managing Director & President EuroFIR AISBL, Brussels, Belgium (MD: 2009; President: 2013 – )
- Member, European Science Journal Editors (2013- )
- Member Institute of Food Technologists (1997- ) and Member Nutrition Society, UK (1993- )
- Editor, Food Chemistry (1995- ) and Editor-in-Chief, Trends in Food Science & Technology (1999- ), Elsevier Science Publishers, Oxford, UK
Finglas P. M., Roe M., Pinchen H., Berry R., Church S.,Dodhia S K., Farron-Wilson M. and Swan G. (2015) McCance and Widdowson’s The Composition of Foods Seventh Summary Edition. Royal Society of Chemistry
Finglas P. M., Berry R., Astley S. (2014) Assessing and Improving the Quality of Food Composition Databases for Nutrition and Health Applications in Europe: The Contribution of EuroFIR Advances in Nutrition 5 p608S-614S
Roe M., Pinchen H., Church S., Elahi S., Walker M., Farron-Wilson M., Buttriss J., Finglas P. M. (2012) Trans fatty acids in a range of UK processed foods Food Chemistry 2012
Plumb J., Lyons J., Nørby K., Thomas M., Nørby E., Poms R., Restani P., Kiely M., Finglas P. M. (2016) ePlantLIBRA: a composition and biological activity database for bioactive compounds in plant food supplements Food Chemistry 193 p121
Kiely M., Black L., Plumb J. A., Kroon P. A., Hollman P. C., Larsen J. C., Speijers G. J., Kapsokefalou M., Sheehan D., Gry J., Finglas P. M. F. Eurofir eBASIS (Bioactive Substances in Food Information System):application for health claims submissions and evaluations (2010) Journal: European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64 pS101-107
King M. J., Brima E. I., Dainty J. R., Barrett D. A., Wright A. J., Willis G., Finglas P. M. (2012) Estimation of the folate apparent volume of distribution in humans Journal of Nutrition 142 p389-395